Vin Diesel: 'My mother says I should direct Fast & Furious 8'

Vin Diesel And The Rock In Fast Five

Vin Diesel has hinted he could be the man to take the wheel for the next instalment in blockbuster street racing saga Fast & Furious.

In a post on Facebook, the star, producer and co-creator of the long-running film series noted the ongoing search for a director to oversee the followup to $1.5bn box office megalith Fast & Furious 7, and revealed that his mother had told him to push himself forwards.

Diesel, whose Facebook page reads ‘Vin Diesel (Actor/Director)’ said: “I will share something crazy that my mother said six months ago after the studio had me announce the date for [Fast & Furious] 8 to the world … ‘Either you direct 8 yourself ... or don’t do it.’

“Some of you Vinbook pioneers are all too familiar with my mother’s wisdom, as I have posted her sayings in the past on our page … but I wrote it off as just a mother’s love and belief in me,” added the actor, whose previous directing credits include a number of shorts, an episode of television series The Ropes and the 1997 crime drama/romance Strays. “Though she has seen first-hand what I’ve done to make these movies defy expectations and become increasingly successful, even when the studio thought I was crazy ... haha.”

Diesel also said he hoped Rob Cohen, who oversaw series opener The Fast and the Furious in 2001, might return to direct a future instalment. James Wan, who directed Fast & Furious 7, is currently unavailable to take charge of the new film because he is busy with horror sequel The Conjuring 2, while Fast & Furious 6’s Justin Lin is working on Star Trek Beyond.

“Ultimately, we all want the best film to honour what we have created and what you the audience has adopted as your favourite franchise,” continued Diesel. “I will leave this matter in the studio’s hands for a moment while I release The Last Witch Hunter and start production of the long awaited [xXx sequel] ‘Xander Returns’.”

Last week, Diesel confirmed studio Universal had given the go-ahead to three more films in the franchise, which, so far, has taken more than $3.8bn globally.

The Hollywood Reporter claims studio execs are none too happy about Diesel’s post. The trade bible quotes an inside source as follows: “It is never going to happen.” It is understood the action star does retain a veto over the choice of director, but is not in a position to simply install himself in the role.

Powered by Guardian.co.ukThis article was written by Ben Child, for theguardian.com on Friday 2nd October 2015 14.50 Europe/Londonguardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media Limited 2010