McClaren claims there is 'no problem' with Papiss Cisse despite recent speculation

Steve McClaren

Steve McClaren has played down speculation over Papiss Cisse's future.

Newcastle manager Steve McClaren has told BBC Sport that he has no problem with striker Papiss Cisse despite recent speculation over his future.

The Magpies lost yet again this afternoon, with Watford leaving St. James' Park with a 2-1 victory after two goals from Odion Ighalo, though Daryl Janmaat did pull a goal back for McClaren's men.

The result leaves Newcastle second bottom of the Premier League table, with McClaren still searching for his first Premier League win as Magpies boss.

One of the talking points to come out of the game was that striker Cisse - who was virtually anonymous against West Ham on Monday night - started the game again, despite speculation over his future.

The Daily Mail reported earlier this week that Cisse was disgruntled at St. James' Park, even after a meeting with McClaren over his situation on Tyneside.

Senegalese hitman Cisse struggled again, and was even substituted at half time in favour of Siem de Jong, adding to the uncertainty over his role at Newcastle.

Now, manager McClaren has commented on the situation surrounding Cisse's future in an interview with BBC Sport, suggesting that there is 'no problem' between the striker and the club, and that his substitution was only a tactical change.

"There is no problem with Papiss, we just felt we had to change something," said McClaren. "He was unfortunate today. He's here, and he's part of the squad, and he's a player who can score. He needs service for that, and we had some crosses in the first half and some opportunities which we'll look at, but really the game, for us, was too open," he added.

Register for NEWCASTLE UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch