Joey Barton comments on Newcastle’s decision to sign Florian Thauvin

Florian Thauvin

Joey Barton comments on Newcastle United’s decision to sign Florian Thauvin and let Remy Cabella leave for Marseille on a season-long loan deal.

Former Manchester City and Queens Park Rangers midfielder Joey Barton has said on BT Sport that Newcastle United were right to get rid of Remy Cabella and bring in Florian Thauvin.

Last month, Premier League outfit Newcastle signed attacking midfielder Thauvin from Marseille and sent attacker Cabella to the Ligue 1 outfit on a season-long long deal.

“I think it is a fantastic bit of business to get Cabella out and get Thauvin in,” former Newcastle midfielder Barton said on the Matchday Live with Fletch & Sav show on BT Sport 1 on Saturday morning. “He is the next best thing in French football.

“It didn’t quite materialise for him at Marseille and the fans turned on him a little bit because I think he did not live up to what they thought he could be, but this is a great place for him to show his talent. I think he is an exceptional young player.”

Thauvin struggled for Marseille last season, but the 22-year-old is a genuinely talented young player who is going to enhance the quality of the current Newcastle squad.

The former France Under-21 international has featured twice in the Premier League for the Magpies so far this season. The youngster has a pass accuracy of 80% and has won one dribble.

Thauvin is still settling in the Premier League and he will need some time to adapt to the English game.

However, Newcastle fans should be confident that the Frenchman will eventually deliver the goods and help Steve McClaren’s side finish in the top 10 of the Premier League this season.

Register for NEWCASTLE UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch