Steve McClaren’s one-word response to Benik Afobe speculation

Benik Afobe

Wolverhampton Wanderers striker Benik Afobe has been linked with Newcastle United and Norwich City.

Newcastle United head coach Steve McClaren has told Sky Sports that the club are not interested in signing Benik Afobe from Wolverhampton Wanderers.

According to a report in The Sunday People earlier this month, Premier League outfit Newcastle want to recruit the former Arsenal prospect before the end of the summer transfer window next month.

BBC Sport reported earlier this week that Norwich City have had their third bid for the striker rejected by Wolves.

Whether the Canaries make a fourth bid or not remains to be seen, but it seems that Newcastle are not in the running for the 22-year-old.

“No,” McClaren told Sky Sports when asked if he is interested in Afobe this afternoon.

Big talent

Afobe is one of the best young players in the Championship and has been in superb form for Wolves since his move to the club from North London outfit Arsenal in the January transfer window.

The former England Under-21 international striker scored 13 goals and created 19 chances in 21 Championship appearances in the second half of last season.

The youngster had a pass accuracy of 78% and a shot accuracy of 74%, and won 52 headers, 32 dribbles and 10 tackles.

Afobe has already started banging in the goals this season, finding the target twice in four Championship matches.

The former Arsenal prospect has created four chances, has a pass accuracy of 88% and a shot accuracy of 63%, and has won six headers, three dribbles and two tackles.

Register for NEWCASTLE UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch