Steve Harper says Newcastle still need one more signing to make it a 'great window'.
Ex-Newcastle goalkeeper Steve Harper has told Sky Sports that he has been impressed with the Magpies' summer transfer activity.
Harper, 40, left Hull City at the end of his contract earlier this summer, but will always be known for his long-term stay with hometown club Newcastle United.
The goalkeeper spent 20 years as a Newcastle player, racking up 199 appearances for the club, primarily as a backup shot stopper during his time at St. James' Park.
Now, Harper may have left Newcatle, but as a boyhood Magpies supporter, he still keeps up with the club's activity, particularly in the transfer market.
Steve McClaren's men have splashed the cash this summer in order to bring in Chancel Mbemba, Florian Thauvin, Georginio Wijnaldum and Aleksandar Mitrovic, and whilst Newcastle have yet to clinch their first win of the season, their 0-0 draw against Manchester United on Saturday was a promising display.
Harper has now told Sky Sports that owner Mike Ashley has backed up his claims to The Chronicle that Newcastle would alter their transfer policy - and whilst he has been impressed with Mitrovic and Wijnaldum, he also said that another signing would make this a great window for Newcastle.
"He's backed it up," said Harper. "But, as a typical Newcastle fan, another [signing] would make it a great window. I think the difference now is that they're buying starting line-up players. They're spending double-figure millions on players. I like Wijnaldum, and Mitrovic as well, they look like two big players," he added.
Newcastle certainly need to bring in at least one more new signing, and McClaren would surely focus on improving his defensive options even after the 0-0 draw against Manchester United.
Left back is a continuous worry for McClaren, whilst another centre back may be targeted if Mike Williamson leaves St. James' Park - though another striker may also be on the wish list given the struggles of Newcastle's forwards last season.