The 23-year-old US international is reportedly being chased by the Royals and several other European clubs.
LA Galaxy striker Gyasi Zardes admits that he is flattered by rumours linking him with a move to Europe.
Speaking ahead of Sunday’s match against New York City FC, the 23-year-old was asked about recent reports citing Reading and Belgian side Genk [h/t MLSSoccer.com] as potential destinations and, while he stressed that he has no idea what the future holds for him at this point, acknowledged that it was a big compliment to hear overseas clubs want him.
“Right now I'm a Galaxy player, and I'm not going to comment on that stuff,” he told MLSossccer.com, before adding: “It's wonderful to know that people see my talent and see my growth as a player, and I just hope I keep producing and keep getting better each and every single day.
“I want to work extremely hard to be one of the best players, be a legend like some of these guys that play for various clubs. It's great to hear positive things about my game play.”
Zardes originally joined the Galaxy in December 2012 as a Homegrown player and has since scored 25 times in 80 regular-season appearances for the MLS club, while operating either up top or out wide.
His breakout 2014 campaign, when he bagged 16 goals in 32 games to help LA claim their third MLS Cup title in four seasons, also helped earn him a first US national team call-up in the winter, as well as praise from club captain and strike-partner Robbie Keane.
Speaking about Zardes’ development during pre-season, the former Premier League star told MLSSoccer.com: “He has come on a lot. He played on the left [wing] in the first half, but striker is certainly his best position. He scored a lot of goals last year  and he’s only growing with being called up the national team as well.
“He’s certainly got the potential [to excel in Europe], but we want to keep him here.”
Since establishing himself as a regular in Jurgen Klinmann’s side, the versatile forward has racked up 13 caps for the States over recent months, while also netting twice, and could now be set to take another big step forward in his flourishing career.
MLSoccer.com’s aforementioned report claims that Reading have been weighing up whether to make a move for the California-native this summer, although getreading.co.uk have since claimed that a deal will not be happening before the transfer window closes – despite their interest in his signature.
Regardless, Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena does not seem particularly concerned about the rumours of his emerging front man’s imminent departure, telling the club’s official website: “I think if you believe anything you read today in papers or websites, you're a dope. My guess is Gyasi's going to be playing for us.”
As for Zardes, though, he was somewhat less committal when pressed for further comment on his immediate future.
“I don't know what tomorrow holds," he said.
Make of that what you will then, but Reading should certainly be watching the Galaxy’s home game against NYCFC tonight with intrigue.