Pepe Mel has been keen to strengthen his Real Betis squad with additional reinforcements out wide, given this is an area his team have seemed to be lacking in depth, during pre-season.
Just over a week ago, Betis were said to be in negotiations with Arsenal for Wellington Silva, with the Brazilian seen as an ideal candidate, particularly given he now holds a Spanish passport and his past experience in La Liga.
Speaking with BBC Radio Manchester, Bolton boss Neil Lennon lamented: "Silva should have been playing tonight, but we missed the registration time by three minutes."
Meanwhile, the focus for Betis and their need to strengthen out wide, has returned to iconic former player and fans favourite, Joaquin, with positive signs he could head back to Estadio Benito Villamarin, before the summer transfer window slams shut.
According to Sevillano outlet Estadio Deportivo, the 34-year-old right-winger would love a return to Los Beticos, the club which launched his professional footballing career.
However, such a move will be far from straightforward. Although Joaquin is said to have already agreed personal terms, Fiorentina are very reluctant to let him leave, particularly so close to their first game of the season in Serie A.
After training with Fiorentina on Tuesday night, Joaquin apparently revealed his desires after the session, explaining: "To stay in Florence is very difficult. Betis? Everything depends on the negotiations between the clubs. Clearly there could be a good solution for everyone."
Those negotiations are set to remain ongoing, but at the moment, a deal is yet to be agreed between the two clubs. Joaquin has a contract with Fiorentina until June 2016, with the option of a further year if he surpasses fifteen games this season.
This presents a difficult situation for Betis, who had been hoping the player could wrangle a rescission of his contract, in order to make his return. Fiorentina aren't planning to make things so easy though, with the expectation they will demand a fee to release Joaquin.
As such, Betis sporting director Eduardo Macia, who previously worked with Fiorentina in a similar capacity, will now have to test his contacts at the Italian club to their limits, as he keeps pushing for the return of such a popular player.