QPR want Bentley, also linked with Nottingham Forest, Swansea and Hull City.
Dan Bentley has been an in-demand transfer target this summer due to his impressive campaign last term with Southend, and QPR boss Chris Ramsey has told London24 that the young ‘keeper is one of his targets to sign.
Ramsey said: “He’s one on our list, but there are a few other players on our list, too. I’m not sure if that’s going to happen by next Saturday, but he’s someone we’re interested in.”
Considering Alex McCarthy left Loftus Road to move to Crystal Palace last month, QPR are looking to sign a new stopper to provide cover and competition for Rob Green.
Bentley looks to be that player, with the 22-year-old winning promotion from League Two last season through the play-offs. He saved two penalties for Southend as they overcame Wycombe in the final, and the Mirror claims he has already been the subject of a bid from one of QPR’s Championship rivals.
Hull City have reportedly seen a £1 million offer rejected, whilst Swansea City and Nottingham Forest are also both looking to sign the youngster, as per the report.
Is Bentley the right option for QPR?
As a back-up option, there will be few options better than Bentley for QPR to sign. He is young, talented, and has a wealth of experience suggesting he is ready for the Championship.
However, as Bentley would be arriving as a back-up option for Rob Green, it is unlikely that he would choose to move to West London. Playing opportunities will not be forthcoming for the youngster, and considering the potential he has shown, he really needs to be playing every week to continue his development.
Bentley may be the best choice for QPR, but the R’s are not the best choice for him right now.