Newcastle transfer news: Coloccini open to Palace move but McClaren wants him to stay; boss dismisses Austin links

St James Park Newcastle

A select round-up of the latest news relating to Newcastle United

According to a report from the Mail on Sunday, Crystal Palace want to sign Newcastle United defender Fabricio Coloccini this summer.

The Argentine centre-back has just one year remaining on his current contract, and he is yet to feature for the Magpies under Steve McClaren after missing the entire pre-season with an Achilles injury.

That has prompted the latest report, which claims Coloccini is open to a move to Selhurst Park and that Palace manager Alan Pardew is keen to be reunited with the player.

That said McClaren has come out to reassert his desire to keep the player at St James’ Park, saying, “I know there has been a lot of speculation but I said he’s a big part of this football club.”

In other news, the Newcastle boss has also had his say on speculation linking the side with a move for Queens Park Rangers front-man Charlie Austin.

In comments published by West London Sport, the Magpies boss said, “We’ve not been in contact with QPR and they’ve not with us. So no, that’s just a name that circulates and has been going round.”

Austin scored 18 goals in 35 Premier League appearances this season but following the arrival of Aleksandar Mitrovic at Newcastle earlier this month it seems McClaren is happy with his striking options.

Register for NEWCASTLE UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch