Newcastle United round-up: Mbemba has medical at Magpies, Austin may stay put

Newcastle Utd - Gate

A round-up of the latest news from St James's Park, with another player pictured in the city ahead of a reported medical on Tyneside.

A day after stating that he had agreed a move to Newcastle United, barring a medical and visa application, Chancel Mbemba was allegedly photographed in the North East ahead of said check up by the Magpies medics, according to the Chronicle

The 20-year-old looks like becoming the club's third summer signing, with what the Chronicle say will be an £8.5 million switch due to be completed on Friday.

Below are pictures that appeared on Twitter appearing to show the Congo international at St James's Park.

 

The pursuit of one other closely linked transfer target may not end up going quite so well after QPR manager Chris Ramsey told Sky Sports that it is very much possible that star striker Charlie Austin will end up remaining at Loftus Road.

The 26-year-old was heavily linked with a switch to Tyneside earlier this window, with several clubs also interested, but with Newcastle signing Alexandar Mitrovic this week, the need for another forward is not quite as pressing as the need was for that first striker.

And finally, despite the problems with their pursuit of Austin, Steve McClaren has made it clear that the club are still the looking to recruit further players. The Chronicle insist the Magpies are looking for another defender, while McClaren himself has stated that some of the club's targets have not been identified in the media, describing them as "off the radar".

Register for NEWCASTLE UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch