Newcastle fans debate Lee Charnley's transfer dealings: failure or patience required?

Newcastle Utd - Shirt Banner

The Magpies faithful have been debating the mixed results of this transfer window so far among others.

Newcastle United fans have got to talking about the role played at the club by managing director Lee Charnley.

Indeed, with it being mid-July already and the St James' Park outfit having only secured one transfer signing so far, some fans have run out of patience with Charnley among others, although several feel Newcastle's summer business will be worth the wait when it all comes together.

Discussion was stirred by former Premier League midfielder and now pundit Don Hutchison, a life-long Newcastle fan who took to Twitter with annoyance that Queens Park Rangers striker Charlie Austin is yet to be signed by the club.

Some backed Hutchison's view, while others disputed it:

When we take the Magpies' dismal transfer market showings in recent windows to one side, the fact is Newcastle have only signed one player so far this summer.

It was a big-money signing, however, and could be viewed as a huge success depending on the season Georginio Wijnaldum has on Tyneside. Other recruits could also be in the pipeline - but will they be worth the wait?

That's what some Newcastle fans have been debating in the comments section of the HITC Sport pages. Here's a selection of their views...


Tel Boy Telboy wrote: 'Spot on Don, Transfer business at Newcastle has been shambolic, Is it down to money again, Not sure but agree somebody needs to be taken to account for lack of effort as far as I can see, it seems most club can sign players quickly but we seem to tumble along?'


Shortydave (in response to Tel Boy Telboy) wrote: 'Well I disagree with this, for one he calls out CA specifically, so I think he did mean him .. and neither Hutchinson, nor you (I assume) really know what is going on .. the transfer window opened on the 1st July .. it's now the 15th July and there's a reasonable way to go yet .. I'd much prefer we take our time and get good quality signings in that will vastly improve the team than knee jerk buy just to satisfy the baying mob .. we're NUFC, we were bottom half of the table and a team in turmoil last season .. not easy to sell that 'dream' to quality players I'm sure ..'


Steve wrote: 'why have a go at don for saying what most of us think charnley and co are pretty much useless'


Leazes Ender wrote: 'Charnley should have been sacked after last seasons debacle'


Bob Burton wrote: 'Let's be honest, none of us really knows how these things work. He might have agreed a deal in principle and is just waiting for whatever's holding it up to be formalised. Or some confidentiality clause might be in play. Yes, the club did have a list of targets, but SMc did say he amended it slightly, which must slow it down. This windfall must be maximised, so Ashley knows he can rely on the board to take it forward in the future. Better by far to get the players SMc wants to work with, than spend early and waste it. As long as we get the right players - even if that means the final hours - then we'll be a stronger side for it. (Idealy though, before the season starts). Better targets = tougher negotiations - fact. I genuinely think it'll be worth the wait.'

Register for NEWCASTLE UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch