Aiden McGeady has been linked with a summer exit from Goodison Park this year, but Roberto Martinez has told a press conference that the rumours are nothing but hearsay in the ongoing transfer window.
Martinez says there is "nothing" in rumours linking Aiden McGeady with a move away from Goodison Park. #BAT2015— Everton (@Everton) July 14, 2015
RM: "Aiden is an exceptionally talented player and I'm looking forward to seeing him fully fit and playing again." #BAT2015— Everton (@Everton) July 14, 2015
The Mirror reported last week that Sunderland could be looking to bring the talented winger to the Stadium of Light this summer, having also seen the Liverpool Echo suggest a possible return to Celtic was on the cards.
The report linking the 29-year-old with a Parkhead return claimed that he had handed in a transfer request as he is looking for a move away from the club, having seen first-team chances limited last season.
It is likely that chances will continue to decrease following the arrival of Gerard Deulofeu from Barcelona, but Martinez’s latest comments suggest that he is keen to see the Irish winger stay on Merseyside.
He is a talented player, with undoubted Premier League quality, and as a squad player is a great option to have around for a team with European ambitions.
However, at his age, McGeady really should be playing every week at a club of the Toffees’ size.
There are no indications that either Celtic or Sunderland have yet to formalise their interest into concrete approaches for McGeady, but even if they do, it is unlikely Martinez will sanction a deal to see him leave Goodison Park this summer.