Anderlecht boss explains Aleksandar Mitrovic omission from friendly game

St James Park

Anderlecht striker Aleksandar Mitrovic has been linked with a move to Premier League outfit Newcastle United this summer.

Anderlecht manager Besnik Hasi has explained to why Aleksandar Mitrovic did not play in a pre-season friendly at the weekend.

The Serbia international striker was left out of the squad which took on Turkish club Istanbul Basaksehir FK.

Hasi has said that the 20-year-old wanted to play, but he was left out in case he suffered an injury.

“He wanted to play but I left him on the sideline for safety,” the 43-year-old told “If he breaks his legs, then we are in the s**t.

“We are busy with transfers, but the latest news is Mitro has not signed anywhere. Hopefully something will happen before next Sunday.”

Good news for Newcastle United?

Hasi’s comments about trying to keep Mitrovic free from injuries will come as good news to Newcastle United, who are reportedly interested in his services.

According to a report in The Mirror last week, the Premier League outfit are keen on signing the striker for a transfer fee of £12 million.

It seems that Anderlecht are open to selling the highly-rated youngster, and it is time that Newcastle move in quickly.

It makes sense for the Belgian club to make sure that Mitrovic does not suffer any injury in pre-season, as that could bring down his value and may even prevent interested clubs from making an offer.

Register for NEWCASTLE UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch