Hector Bellerin admits he faces battle for Arsenal spot next season

Hector Bellerin 2

Mathieu Debuchy's return will provide fierce competition, but the Gunners youngster says he will continue working hard to earn Wenger's trust.

Arsenal youngster Hector Bellerin has admitted to the club's official website that he is braced for a battle with Mathieu Debuchy for the right-back berth at Emirates Stadium next season.

The Spaniard came in while the Frenchman was out injured last season and impressed in his absence, with many predicting that he could become the Gunners first-choice option in his chosen position for many years to come.

It could be argued that former Newcastle United man Debuchy remains higher up the pecking order in the eyes of manager Arsene Wenger at present, but Bellerin believes that friendly competition between the two will help to make them both better players in the long run.

“This year Mathieu is back from injury,” he told arsenal.com.

“Hopefully it will be a big friendly battle in between us, and that’s going to make us better players by competing against each other. Then it’s down to the boss.”

Last season was arguably the breakthrough one for Bellerin, with Wernger awarding him both his Premier League and Champions League debuts.

He grasped that opportunity with both hands, proving to be both strong going forward - his goal against Liverpool being testament to that - while being reliable defensively.

And while the 20-year-old has is expecting less game time in 2015/16 courtesy of Debuchy’s return to fitness, he says he will continue to keep working hard and challenge for the right-back spot.

“Last year I got more minutes than I thought and I think I showed people that I could play there,” he added.

“My personal goal is to keep working hard and hopefully challenge for the right-back spot. When you work hard and you are confident, things always go the right way. I’ve just got to keep doing that because at the moment it’s giving me a good result.”

A tough choice for Arsene Wenger

The choice between Debuchy and Bellerin is certainly a difficult one for Arsene Wenger.

The latter arguably deserves to begin next season in the starting XI, given how well he played last term and the benefits he will take from an extended run in the first-team.

However, Wenger may fancy Debuchy for his experience, especially if they are aiming to challenge Chelsea for the title next season. For now, no decision has been made and it will be interesting to see who wins the battle come August 9.

Register for ARSENAL team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch