Skybet had suspended betting on a move just a couple of days ago, so certain were they that a move was about to happen, but there were pictures of Schneiderlin at St Mary's as pre-season training began on Monday, and Ronald Koeman then came out and said United have not offereded a serious bid for the player, as quoted in the Mail.
Since then, Sky Sports have reported that United's initial offer fell some way short of the Saints' valuation of £25 million, and that that bid came on June 20, with no further offer or discussions occurring since.
Echoes of last season might not be a bad thing for Southampton
The whole affair is not dissimilar to the midfielder's situation last summer, when the Frenchman is believed to have been pushing for a move to Arsenal or Tottenham, two sides that have been linked again this summer according as per the Telegraph.
It was a switch that never came last year, with Spurs rumoured to have offered far less than the Saints price of £27 million that the Guardian said they would have had to offer.
As it turned out, Schneiderlin returned to St Mary's and played the best football of his career, proving himself one of the best midfielders in the Premier League and anchoring his place in the France squad.
With the 25-year-old in the side, Southampton qualified for the Europa League through their league finish after several years out of continental competition, while Schneiderlin emphasised that he is worth every penny of the large transfer fee Ronald Koeman is said to be asking for.
If a move once more fails to happen, who's to say that the midfielder won't return to the club and inspire them to even greater things.