The striker said: “In the national team we've played together. There Jelle has been proven that he has the ability, but the final decision rests with the player himself. When I meet him, I will definitely try to convince him to stay at Genk.”
The duo, who have played together with the Belgian national team on occasion, could be linking up next season with Genk, following Vossen’s impressive loan spell with Middlesbrough.
Whilst head coach Peter Maes wants to bring Vossen back to Genk ahead of the next season, following his recent appointment in the top job, he has been linked with an exit, and a permanent transfer to Celtic or Sheffield Wednesday.
Gazette Live claimed that Sheffield Wednesday want to sign the 26-year-old, whilst the Sun have suggested Celtic are leading the race for his signature. HLN did report earlier this week that Genk are ready to offer him a new contract in the coming days to ward off the interest, and Vossen is said to be keen on opening talks with his current club.
De Camargo has admitted he will do everything in his power to convince the striker to remain with Genk, and the situation now makes it look as if Wednesday and Celtic will have to look elsewhere for striking targets this summer.