Former Arsenal midfielder Ray Parlour explained that he feels Liverpool just need to take the cash for Raheem Sterling, when he appeared as a co-host on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast Show for talkSPORT.
The Guardian was among the sources to report last week that Liverpool had rejected a £40 million offer for the player from Manchester City, with City forced to go back to the drawing board as they consider a higher bid.
“I think they just have to take the money because he doesn’t want to be there, he doesn’t want to stay – If he has some bad games early in the season, I think the crowd are going to be on his back and thinking he’s not putting it in for the lads or the team,” he said.
“It’s just down to what Liverpool are expecting – For £40 million they can reinvest that in two or three players.”
Is it a risky strategy by Liverpool?
Not at all because the transfer window hasn’t officially opened yet (opens next Wednesday) and the player is under contract with the club beyond the forthcoming season.
There’s no imminent timeline hanging over them in terms of when they need to have sold Sterling by, which means they can stick by their guns and hold out for top money over the player.
Where could Liverpool use the money?
Martin Skrtel recently signed a new contract but as Parlour told talkSPORT, there is the potential for Liverpool to use the cash generated by a big fee to improve a couple of positions.
Another centre back signing is likely to be a priority for the club and manager Brendan Rodgers will naturally be under pressure to replace Sterling following any move.
Sterling’s motives and intentions may be questionable, but he is an extremely quick and versatile attacking young man who Liverpool will miss if, or when, he leaves.