Speaking on the popular Cadena COPE radio show 'El Partido de las 12' on Thursday night, leading sportscaster Manolo Lama has revealed that contract renewal talks between Real Madrid and central defender, Sergio Ramos, have broken down and are unlikely to resume.
"Definitively, the relations between Ramos and Real Madrid are broken." Lama explained, adding: "They are stagnant and it's going to be almost impossible for there to be any agreement between the player and the club."
Recounting the offers made so far by Real Madrid president Florentino Perez to the player, Lama observed: "He still has two years left on his contract. He (Florentino) made the first call to make an offer to Ramos, which the player considered insufficient and rejected."
"They agreed to speak at the end of the season and many people said a deal would be closed, but now that's not going to happen, because there will be no further negotiations."
Ramos is currently tied to Real Madrid contractually until June 2017, but Lama insisted that the club aren't planning to raise the salary of the central defender any higher, or meet his demands for a significant increase.
"The president isn't going to call Ramos again. He's the fifth highest paid player, clearing €6 million a year. The offer Real Madrid made was to raise that to €7 million. At that time Sergio Ramos rejected the offer." Highlighted the respected journalist.
According to Lama: "Ramos has said he wants to earn around €10 million, like Bale. Real Madrid consider that too much and won't offer more than €7 million. The differences are insurmountable. There's a difference of €3 million and therefore the negotiations have broken down." Between the player and the club.
Over recent days, English media outlets such as the Daily Star have suggested Premier League clubs, including Chelsea and Manchester United, have begun to make enquiries about the 29-year-old central defender, who is still regarded as one of the best footballers of his position in the world.
During the 'El Partido de las 12' radio show, offering his insight, Lama confirmed: "A lot of clubs have called at his door, but he's never responded. A lot of leading Premier League teams want him. Manchester United are the latest club, because they want to sign two central defenders."
However, it was pointed out: "Ramos hasn't responded," personally to the offer from the Red Devils, "because he wants to finish his contract with Real Madrid."
As far as Lama is concerned: "If Real Madrid receive an offer, they'll need to convey it to him, because within a year and a half, he can negotiate with any other team and leave for free."
"If Real Madrid decide to sell, they'll need to do it before the start of the 2016-17 season, which is the final year of his contract."
Catalan outlet Sport had sensationally reported on Thursday, that one of the Barcelona presidential candidates has expressed an interest to launch a bid for Ramos.
Regarding that news, Lama concluded: "Ramos wants to finish his career with Real Madrid, but if he does leave, it wouldn't be for Barcelona, even though they would pay him more than he earns in the capital. He won't play for any other team in Spain that isn't Real Madrid, and if he doesn't reach a renewal agreement with them, he would go abroad instead."
Such insight into the situation of Ramos will clearly keep Manchester United and Chelsea on alert, but for now at least, it seems unlikely that Real Madrid or the player will be listening to offers this summer.
Inevitably though, whilst the player and the club remain at an impasse, speculation will remain that one of the Premier League giants might tempt Real Madrid to consider selling, with a big enough cash offer.