New York City FC boss undecided on move for ex-Newcastle and Charlton defender Oguchi Onyewu


The former US international has been on trial with the MLS club since last week.

New York City FC head coach Jason Kreis has told that the club remain undecided over whether to pursue a deal for former US international and trialist Oguchi Onyeywu.

Onyewu, 33, was snapped in training with NYCFC last week, before it emerged that the centre-back had begun a two-week trial with the MLS expansion side after leaving Charlton Athletic last month.

Most believe the 69-times capped veteran would prove a valuable addition to the team’s backline given their current lack of defensive options, but Kreis himself stresses that no decision has been made on him at this point.

Speaking ahead of the weekend’s 1-1 draw with the Houston Dynamo, the former Real Salt Lake boss said: “It’s been interesting. He’s a really big body, and we’re looking to make some additions to the team in the summer. It’s a consideration.

“We probably aren’t going to rush into anything but who knows? We’ll see over the next four, five days how he does.”

Onyewu has never featured in MLS, having begun his professional career with French outfit Metz in 2002, but did train with hometown club D.C. United last summer before catching on with Charlton.

However, the ex-AC Milan man, who has enjoyed three previous spells in England with Newcastle United, Queens Park Rangers and Sheffield Wednesday, made just three appearances during his time with the Addicks before being let go at the end of the season.

He would not have to go through the allocation process to enter MLS and could join NYCFC via discovery claim, but it remains to be seen whether the 6ft 4in defender will be lining up alongside the soon-to-arrive Frank Lampard come next month.

Register for NEWCASTLE UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch