The 28-year-old looks set for an imminent departure from Schalke after being suspended by the Bundesliga club.
Marsch’s comments to BigAppleSoccer.com come after Boateng and Schalke teammate Sidney Sam were suspended indefinitely following Sunday’s dismal 2-0 defeat at FC Cologne, ahead of an expected summer departure.
The Ghana international’s contract is not set to expire until 2016 but, after a season full of nagging injuries, just 11 Bundesliga starts and no goals, the German club are said to be keen to offload him as soon as possible.
MLS has been mooted as a possible destination in recent months, with Gazzetto dello Sport citing the Red Bulls’ interest, while the US Metro reported last week that club had placed a discovery claim on the 28-year-old amid rumours of a potential Designated Player deal being in the works.
However, RBNY boss Marsch was quick to dismiss the initial links to Boateng prior to Sunday’s first ever meeting with expansion side New York City FC and repeated that message following his side’s 2-1 win.
“Not much has changed,” he told the website. “I'll just say that nothing has changed from what I said before.”
While a high-profile target, Boateng does not stand out as an ideal fit for the Red Bulls line-up, with skipper Dax McCarty, and winter arrivals Felipe Martins and Sacha Kljestan currently making up one of the league’s strongest midfields.
A move which would make more sense on paper, though, would be for Republic of Ireland winger James McClean, who is said to be on the club’s radar following Wigan Althletic’s relegation to League One.
According to Derry Now, the former Sunderland man has been out to New York for talks over a potential summer move, which would add some much-needed starting talent to the club’s left flank.