Forest are currently 11th in the Championship table with 59 points from 44 matches and have not won a single game in the league since March 18.
Former Forest midfielder Hodge believes that the squad that manager Dougie Freedman inherited when he replaced Stuart Pearce as the Reds boss is not equipped enough to move out of the Championship and into the Premier League.
“Teams likes Wolves, Ipswich (Town) and Brentford are going at it hammer and tongs with great desire,” the Englishman told BBC Radio Nottingham at the weekend.
“I am not convinced yet that this squad of players has shown that togetherness and mental strength to forge promotion push for next season.”
Hodge has also highlighted the areas when Forest need to strengthen in the summer transfer window.
“I think defensively Forest are very strong,” said the 52-year-old. “Midfield-wise, that’s the conundrum for me, as they may lose one or two players. Sellable assets are (Henri) Lansbury and (Michail) Antonio.
“Forget Britt Assombalonga for next season. If he comes back early, then great, but forget him and move forward without him for the time being. Personally, I would like to bring in two or three strikers.”
Forest are under a transfer embargo next season and will not able to make big signings like they have in previous seasons.
It will be interesting to see what Freedman does with the restrictions on the club and the types of players he targets.
One suspects that some of the players who will come in will be low-key players, but if the Scot can get the best out of them and build a team who play for each other, then perhaps they could give it a go.
Following Freedman’s appointment in February and until the middle of last month, it looked like Forest will make a late challenge for the Championship playoffs.
Injuries and fatigue eventually took their toll, but perhaps next season a strong start will see the Reds return to playoff contention.