Newcastle United’s Siem de Jong: My doctor thought I would not play again this season

St James Park

Siem de Jong is set to return for Newcastle United against Swansea City for the Premier League clash at St. James’ Park on Saturday.

Newcastle United attacker Siem de Jong has revealed to The Chronicle that the doctor who treated him on his thigh injury back in September did not think that he would play again this season.

The Netherlands international picked up the injury during training and has not played a competitive game for the Magpies since then.

De Jong, who also suffered a collapsed lung earlier this season, has revealed that the doctor was surprised at the progress he has made.

“I spoke to the doctor this week and he said when he saw me after the operation he didn’t think I would play this season,” the 26-year-old told The Chronicle. “He said it was quite good to see me back like this and back playing."

De Jong is back in training with the rest of the Newcastle squad and is in line to make an appearance at the weekend.

The Magpies will take on Swansea City at St. James’ Park in the Premier League on Saturday, and the 2014 summer signing from Ajax could make an appearance.

"Siem got just over 70 minutes (at Aston Villa) and will be in the squad and involved (against Swansea)," Newcastle head coach John Carver told the club’s official website.

"He has looked bright again today so he is definitely in the group of 18,” added the Englishman.

One suspects that De Jong will not start the encounter against Swansea, as he is probably not 100% match fit.

However, the presence of the Dutchman even on the substitutes’ bench is going to enhance the Magpies’ chances of winning the game against the Swans.

Newcastle have lost their last six Premier League matches and will head into this weekend’s round of matches placed just seven points above the relegation zone.

Register for NEWCASTLE UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch