Alves’ agent confirms Barca departure - bad news for Arsenal

Dani Alves

Dani Alves is set to leave Barcelona this summer, and the La Liga giants could look to Gunners youngster Hector Bellerin in the long-term.

The agent of Barcelona star Dani Alves confirmed on Thursday that the 31-year-old was leaving the Spanish club at the end of the season, as reported by Sky Sports, something that may have repercussions for Arsenal if popular opinion is followed at the Nou Camp.

Dinorah Santana said the Catalonians had offered Alves a one-year deal that would be extended up to three years if he played 60% of the games or more each season.

"Dani has a concrete offer on the table for a three-year deal plus the option for an extra year with a better wage than he has here and a signing on fee," said Santana, whose client has been linked to moves to Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain.

"Barca at the moment have told me that they will not match those figures and we understand that."

Earlier in the week, Barcelona fans voted for the club to chase Arsenal's Hector Bellerin for right back next season, were the Brazilian to leave at the end of his contract.

In the poll by the Sport publication, as reported by the Mail, the majority of Barca fans wanted Alves to remain at the Nou Camp, with over 60% choosing that option. However, the next most popular choice was for Luis Enrique and co to head to the Emirates and sign Bellerin as a replacement, with the young Spaniard only leaving the La Liga giants four years ago when he was 16-years-old.

Bellerin, like Cesc Fabregas before him, made the switch to Arsenal in order to find a more direct route to top level first team football, something he has done this season with aplomb, making 20 appearances and scoring twice.

Having been born in Barcelona, and spending eight years at their academy, La Masia, Bellerin would obviously have strong ties to both the city and the club, and the Gunners would be devastated to see their young right-back follow the route Fabregas took when Barca came calling in 2011.  

Barcelona currently have Martin Montoya and Douglas as options at right fullback, so much depends on whether Luis Enrique thinks either player can adequately step in for Brazil star Alves. They will also be unable to register anyone new until next January as a result of a transfer ban, something that should keep Bellerin in North London and out of their clutches for the immediate future.

Register for ARSENAL team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch