Freedman confirms Nottingham Forest contract extension, gives injury update on Chuba Akpom

Forest City Ground

Nottingham Forest manager Dougie Freedman says he has agreed a contract extension.

Dougie Freedman has confirmed that he has 'shaken hands' with Nottingham Forest owner Fawaz Al-Hasawi over a new contract, as reported by the BBC.

Freedman, 40, was appointed Forest manager back in February, replacing Stuart Pearce after a poor run of results, and in doing so, returned to the club where he scored 23 goals in 83 games as a player.

After an underwhelming spell in charge of Bolton Wanderers, fans weren't too enthusiastic about Freedman's arrival - but they've been proven wrong so far.

The Scot has won seven of his 13 games in charge, losing just three times in an fruitful spell - made all the more impressive by the fact that he's been without top goalscorer Britt Assombalonga.

Only on an 18-mtonh contract which was to be reviewed at the end of the season, Freedman has now told the BBC that he has 'shaken hands' with owner Al-Hasawi over a deal to stay at the City Ground for an extended period of time, even though a contract length has yet to be revealed.

Speaking ahead of Forest's game against Huddersfield Town this weekend, Freedman also spoke about striker Chuba Akpom's injury.

Akpom joined on loan from Arsenal last month, but was taken off after just 41 minutes against Brentford on Monday afternoon.

Now, Freedman has told BBC Radio Nottingham that Akpom hasn't trained at all this week, but could return to action tomorrow - though Saturday's game may come too soon.

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch