Ronny Deila is reportedly keen on signing NEC Nijmegen winger Alireza Jahanbakhsh.
As reported by the Daily Record, the 21-year-old Iranian international has been closely monitored by the Bhoys’s European scouting team.
He is in his last year of contract in the Netherlands, and Deila is said to be monitoring his situation ahead of attempting to steal him away to Celtic Park in the summer.
Considering that little is known of Jahanbakhsh, here are five facts to whet your appetite ahead of a potential transfer.
1) The 21-year-old is a 14-cap full Iranian international, and he was part of Carlos Queiroz’s squad for the 2014 World Cup. However, the coach only gave him three substitute appearances, despite many calling for the fancy winger to start games.
2) Currently playing with NEC in the Jupiler League, the winger has netted an incredible 12 goals and registered 17 assists in just 27 games - an amazing total for a wide player. Admittedly this is the Dutch second tier, but he still weighed in with five goals and four assists in the Eredivisie last season.
3) A very technical winger, Jahanbakhsh seems to have improved the big weakness he showed last season - finishing. He would frequently get in great positions, only to waste chances, and he has shown this term that his goalscoring has improved, even if it is against weaker opposition.
4) Able to play anywhere across the front three, the youngster is best suited to a wide right role, where he is able to cut inside onto his left foot. However, he is adept with both feet and has shown to posses a classy shooting ability from long range.
5) Jahanbakhsh has one more year on his contract after this season and, with NEC flying in the Jupiler League, it appears as if they will be back in the Eredivise next term. Clubs should be able to move for him on a cut-price fee this summer if he refuses to extend his deal, as NEC would risk losing him for nothing the following season.