Agent of reported Spurs, Everton Bosman target explains choice of club

Sampdoria Fans

After spending nearly his entire career to date in the Eredivisie, Niklas Moisander has officially agreed to join Sampdoria.

Niklas Moisander’s agent told Tuttomercatoweb that his client chose to sign with Sampdoria because the Blucerchiati are a club on the rise, ending transfer speculation.

The 29-year-old has spent two spells with current employers Ajax in the Netherlands, bookending a combined six years representing PEC Zwolle and AZ Alkmaar.

A senior Finland international since 2008, Moisander has logged 43 caps for his country while rising to take over the captaincy from Petri Pasanen in 2011.

Adding 20 Champions League appearances and a further 19 showings in the Europa League, the centre-back is an experienced operator in the art of defence.

It was for this reason that interest in the Finn was said to be high as his Ajax contract ran down towards its expiration date in the coming summer.

The Daily Mirror reported in October that Tottenham Hotspur had scouted Moisander in European action against Barcelona, with a Napoli representative also in attendance.

January passed without a move even as no contract extension arrived, and SoccerNews.nl claimed last month that Spurs were considering pouncing on the situation.

The Dutch outlet further noted that Everton had renewed previous rumoured interest in Moisander, having been linked with him a year prior.

Both clubs could use an experienced yet appropriately aged, cost-effective defender, but ultimately saw themselves beaten to the punch by a competitor, so it seems.

On from La Gazzetta dello Sport reporting that Moisander had signed with Sampdoria some five weeks ago, the Blucerchiati confirmed the deal on Wednesday.

Moisander was pictured smiling alongside the rather colourful owner of the Genoese side, Massimo Ferrero, on the club’s official Twitter account as the move was announced.

Set to join up with his new team-mates on July 1, Moisander’s agent took to the press to explain why the defender had settled on joining Sampdoria.

Soren Lerby told Tuttomercatoweb: “It took a long time for the process, and we are happy to have made his move to Italy official.

“Eventually Niklas chose Sampdoria because he saw a club on the rise, which is building a future with a great organisation.

“His feelings were immediately positive and, although it was an important choice, in the end he had no doubts.

“For a central defender I must say that [29 years old] is an excellent age. Sampdoria have secured a player with the proper experience. It was time to leave the Netherlands and he is ready for this new adventure.”

Sampdoria are indeed a club on the upswing, with Sinisa Mihajlovic’s men unexpectedly in contention for a Champions League place entering the business end of the fixture list.

The Blucerchiati have sustained their charge despite selling Shkodran Mustafi last summer and Manolo Gabbiadini in January, bringing in new faces such as Luis Muriel and Samuel Eto’o.

The capture of Moisander seems to be a case of Ferrero and company pushing hardest to secure his services, seeing off competition due to commitment to the player.

Spurs and Everton will be left to search for new additions elsewhere, with their attentions perhaps already focused on other targets as Moisander’s switch to Italy was wrapped up.

Register for TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR team updates

Register for EVERTON team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch