With the Bundesliga defender reportedly a target for Newcastle, we took a closer look at the man who could soon be part of the Premier League furniture.
Valued at around £1.5 million, as suggested in the report, Beck has been with Hoffenheim since moving to the club from fellow Bundesliga outfit VfB Stuttgart in 2008.
So what should Newcastle fans know about him? Here are five important facts.
1. Despite representing Die Mannschaft at five different levels, Beck was actually born in Kemerovo, Russia.
He emigrated Germany as a child before playing for DJK-SG Wasseralfingen and SVH Köningsbronn during his younger years before signing for Stuttgart's junior side at 14 and rising through the ranks.
He eventually moved to Hoffenheim in 2008 in a bid to play more regularly.
2. Beck was part of the Germany under-21 side that won the European Championships of 2009, beating England 4-0 in the final.
The full-back certainly played his part, scoring the only goal in Germany's 1-0 semi-final victory over an Italy side that featured Mario Balotelli and Antonio Candreva among others.
Six of the team that started alongside Beck – Manuel Neuer, Benedikt Howedes, Jerome Boateng, Mats Hummels, Sami Khedira and Mezut Ozil – played in the 2014 World Cup final.
3. To date, Beck has earned nine full caps for Germany, with the first of these coming in February 2009 for a clash with Norway in Dusseldorf.
Since then his appearances for Die Mannschaft have been rather stop-start. Beck was selected as part of the 30-man preliminary party for the 2010 World Cup in Brazil but was ultimately cut from the final 23-man squad.
4. The full-back came close to sealing a big-money move to Juventus in the summer of 2011, with the Bundesliga side confirming, during an interview with Bild republished by Sky Sports, that an approach had been made.
It was not meant to be, however, with the Bianconeri move ultimately stalling following the dismissal of Luigi Del Neri as manager.
Juventus later returned with a second bid for the player but it failed to meet Hoffenheim's valuation and the deal was soon called off. Beck later signed a contract extension.
5. Last season Beck was involved in a rather unfortunate incident involving a cameraman.
Chasing a loose ball down the line during a Bundesliga clash with Mainz 05, the 28-year-old appeared to lose his footing.
Beck subsequently fell onto a nearby camera with the operator coming off the worse for wear.
The cameraman in question had to be stretchered off, though Beck was largely unscathed after the incident.