Atletico Madrid director rules out transfer for Arsenal-linked star

Arda Turan Atletico

Atletico Madrid director Clemente Villaverde says the La Liga champions have no intention of parting with highly-rated midfielder Arda Turan this summer.

Atletico Madrid director Clemente Villaverde stated that the club has no intention of selling Turkish international midfielder Arda Turan and the winger has no intention of leaving the club.

In an interview with Turkey's Agency Anatolia, as reported by AS, at the Champions League quarter-finals draw in Nyon this past Friday, Clemente responded to the constant speculation that Arda Turan could leave the club this summer, assuring Atletico Madrid fans that the 28-year-old will remain at the Vicente Calderon next year.

He said: "We're very happy with Arda Turan. He's a very important player for us. We have no problems with him. We're happy to have him with us next year. Arda is happy at Atletico and the fans love what he brings to the pitch. He'll stay with us for next year."

Turan has become a fans’ favourite at the Vicente Calderon, as he has become a talisman for Diego Simeone, and his industrious work ethic and generous play on the pitch makes the fans feel that he is one of their own, despite the player's limited Spanish.

Turan joined Atletico Madrid in the summer of 2011 for a fee of €12 million, making him, at that time, the most expensive Turkish footballer in history and has since gone on to become one of the most decorated players in Atletico’s history.

The midfielder has previously been linked with moves to Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United, by the Express, but manager Diego Simeone and his board have rebuffed the interest.

Register for ARSENAL team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch