With the 29-year-old a source of ridicule following the Barcelona man’s nutmeg, we are showcasing the Manchester City man's impressive stats this term.
While Joe Hart and Lionel Messi were both singled out for praise in the wake of Manchester City’s Champions League exit at the hands of Barcelona, one man who definitely wasn’t winning any plaudits was James Milner.
Instead, the 29-year-old midfielder’s name was trending on Twitter for all the wrong reasons after the Catalans’ Argentine maestro made the Sky Blues star look a little silly.
Being on the wrong end of a nutmeg from Messi is bad enough, but being on the end of one seen by millions around the world and a certain Pep Guardiola takes the biscuit.
Fortunately, we are firm believers in the mantra that one impressive flick does not discount an entire season of tireless displays.
Here are five stats that show the true worth of Milner to Manchester City this term.
1. Manchester City have averaged around 2.13 points per match with Milner in the team this season.
2. Milner was named man of the match for his display against Chelsea back in September with the midfielder winning 92.9 per cent of his duels with the Blues and also boasting 93 per cent passing accuracy.
3. In the weekend of October 6th, Milner created a total of seven chances for Manchester City in their 2-0 victory over Aston Villa – that’s more than anyone else in the Premier League that weekend.
4. City’s 3-0 win over Crystal Palace back in December saw Milner manage more sprints (71) and cover more miles (6.7) than any City player other than Jesus Navas, who played eight more minutes.
5. A 4-1 victory over Stoke saw Milner score once, provide an assist and set a new record for the highest distance covered in the Premier League this season (13.56km).
It’s also worth noting that Milner is one of just three Manchester City players to have improved as the season has gone on, according to WhoScored’s weekly match ratings, with the other two being Gael Clichy and Joe Hart.