How Derby may have inspired Nottingham Forest's tactics on Tuesday

Forest City Ground

Nottingham Forest's tactics against Bournemouth may have been the result of a lesson learned by Dougie Freedman earlier in the season against Derby County.

Dougie Freedman masterminded Nottingham Forest's victory over promotion hopefuls Bournemouth on Tuesday night, but his tactics may have stemmed from a bad experience earlier in the season against Derby County

In September, while managing Bolton Wanderers, Freedman admitted that he had a tactical nightmare in the game against the Rams and took full responsibility for the 2-0 loss. 

''I have to take full responsibility,'' Freedman was quoted in the Derbyshire Telegraph. ''I tried to out-football Derby and I got it horribly wrong. 

''Derby are the best side in the league and, if I was a betting man, I would put my money on them winning the league.

''I will take full responsibility for the result and I got it wrong, so I have to look at my performance.'' 

Against Bournemouth, Freedman had a similar test to the one he faced against Derby back at the start of the season, but this time he passed with flying colours.

The former Palace boss knew before the game that Bournemouth would look to control possession and press his side back into their own half. However, instead of trying to fight Bournemouth's control of the ball, he implemented a game plan where his side could look to hurt them on the break. 

The Cherries recorded 76% of the possession but struggled to break the resilient Forest defence down. On the other hand, with just 24% of the ball, Forest had chances galore and hit more than double the amount shots on target as their opponents. 

Although it's a tactic that Freedman won't want to implement every week, it certainly worked on this occasion and handed Forest a very valuable, and impressive, three points. 

On Saturday, Freedman will be expected to change his tactics slightly as the Reds travel to Reading in search of a third successive win. Unlike Bournemouth, Reading aren't a possession-heavy side, so it could be a good chance for Freedman to ask his players to show they can be as dominant in possession as they are effective without it. 

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch