Nacer Chadli on Tottenham Hotspur’s defeat to Fiorentina in Europa League

Nacer Chadli

Nacer Chadli reflects on Tottenham Hotspur’s exit from the Europa League at the hands of Fiorentina.

Tottenham Hotspur winger Nacer Chadli has told the club’s official Twitter account that the players were not sharp enough against Fiorentina on Thursday.

Premier League outfit Tottenham suffered a 2-0 defeat to the Italian club in the second leg of the Europa League round-of-32 tie at the Stadio Artemio Franchi in Florence.

Second-half goals from Mario Gomez and Chelsea-owned Mohamed Salah proved enough for Fiorentina, who won the tie 3-1 on aggregate.

Belgium international Chadli, who started the encounter and played for 63 minutes, has now highlighted the main reason for Spurs’ failure against Fiorentina over the two legs.

“We're very disappointed,” the 25-year-old told Tottenham’s official Twitter account. “We had better chances, more possession and played better than them.

“It was a bit like the first leg. We weren't sharp enough. We're all frustrated because we feel we're better than them.”

Second-leg stats

Fiorentina deserved to win the second leg of the tie on Thursday, but Spurs did have some good chances.

Spain international striker Roberto Soldado squandered an easy chance in the first half, deciding to the square the ball to Chadli instead of taking the shot himself.

Mauricio Pochettino’s side had as much as 64% of the possession and took 10 shots, but only three of those were on target.

Interestingly, Fiorentina, who had just 36% possession, also took 10 shots, of which four were on target and two resulted in goals.

First-leg stats

In the first leg of the tie at White Hart Lane in North London last week, statistically Spurs were better than Fiorentina.

Tottenham had 58% of the possession and took 17 shots of which seven on target. On the other hand, the Florence-based outfit had 42% possession and took just 13 shots of which just two were on target.

However, the first leg ended in a 1-1 draw, and in both the games Fiorentina were more clinical than Spurs.

Register for TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch