After a short stay away from Tyneside with Gateshead, The Chronicle has revealed that Newcastle have recalled 17-year-old winger/forward Callum Roberts from his spell in the Conference.
An undoubtedly talented youngster with the potential to go far at the club, we decided to lift the lid on this would-be Magpies wonderkid.
Here are five things you should know about the attacker.
1. Roberts was highly rated by previous Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew who had planned to use the midfielder in a Premier League clash with Queens Park Rangers, helped in no small part by a magnificent solo goal scorer by the youngster during a pre-season match with Eintracht Frankfurt in Germany.
"I do like him. He has tremendous technique and ability,” Pardew told the official Newcastle website.
“He's a player that wouldn't be included normally because he's in the preparation phase - he's still got another year (at the Academy) - and he's behind Arma (Adam Armstrong) and behind (Rolando) Aarons. But he's knocking on the door.”
2. The winger has so far featured on the bench for Newcastle twice this season.
He was an unused substitute for the Toon’s 4-0 League Cup quarter-final defeat at the hands of Tottenham Hotspur but came on for the final 11 minutes of the Magpies’ FA Cup third round defeat to Leicester City.
3. Roberts made a total of three appearances while on loan at Gateshead in the Conference and was also named as a substitute for one additional fixture, though he was not brought on.
All told the midfielder played a total of 226 minutes for the north east club before Newcastle manager John Carver decided to cut the loan deal short amid suggestions the winger would soon be turning out for Gatehead’s reserve side.
4. Prior to moving out on loan, the winger/forward had impressed for Newcastle’s under-21 side, making nine appearances for the Magpies youth outfit so far this season.
During that time he racked up two goals and a further two assists, though his crowning glory came in the Premier League Cup back in November, when the attacker scored twice to help Newcastle beat Crewe and progress to the next round.
Development Manager Peter Beardsley was full of praise for the forward following the match, with the NUFC Blog carrying the following quotes on his performance:
“Callum creates chances, makes chances, takes chances...He’s got a lot of ability.”
5. Newcastle United may not have made any major signings in January but they could have tied down one for the foreseeable future after Roberts took to his personal Twitter account to reveal he had signed his first professional contract with the club.
Happy to have signed my first professional contract with Newcastle. Hopefully first of many