Hamburg captain Rafael van der Vaart could become the latest big-name star to make the switch to the USA.
Van der Vaart, 32, is out of contract with Hamburg at the end of the season, and told the Hamburg Morgenpost last month that he is still to hold serious talks over a new deal.
“I quite often talk to Didi [Hamburg CEO Dietmar Beiersdorfer], but nothing concrete has been discussed,” he said.
“Everything’s open. What happens after June is not in my hands. But I don’t feel any pressure. I am totally relaxed.”
Stoke were keen on bringing Van der Vaart back to the Premier League during the winter transfer window, per the Stoke Sentinel, but an unnamed MLS club is now said to have made an approach ahead of his expected Bundesliga departure.
Teams in both La Liga and Serie A are also reported to have shown interest, however, suggesting that the Netherlands international won’t be short of suitors in the coming months.
Arriving from Spurs in August 2012, Van der Vaart has made 74 total appearances for Hamburg over the past three seasons, while recording 18 goals and adding 21 assists.
Named club captain in April 2013, the 109-times capped Dutchman has continued to prove an important contributor to the German outfit this season, grabbing five goals in 17 games, but has endured nagging calf problems and is often withdrawn late in games.
He can still produce to a high standard, having been part of Louis van Gaal’s 30-man provisional World Cup squad before previous calf issues forced his withdrawal, but a lucrative switch across the Atlantic could just prove tempting enough for the ex-Ajax and Real Madrid star.
For what it’s worth, too, Sporting Kansas City CEO Robb Heineman also fired off this tweet earlier this month amid whispers of a potential big-name addition.
Keep hearing rvdv rumor....definitely on the radar. Not imminent...— Robb Heineman (@RobbHeineman) February 12, 2015