La Gazzetta dello Sport reported last month that the Nerazzurri were lining up a summer swoop for head coach Roberto Mancini’s former charge at the Etihad.
Due to his coming 32nd birthday the pink paper claimed that only a €9 million fee would be required, with Toure agreeing to take a significant wage-cut to move to San Siro.
Days after the report surfaced, Mancini was asked by Il Giornale about the Ivorian, responding by calling the City man a top player and suggesting a move to Italy.
Mancini returned to Inter in November after nearly seven years away – taking charge of City and Galatasaray in between – to find the club in a rather chaotic state.
In January he went about signing Marcelo Brozovic, Xherdan Shaqiri and Lukas Podolski and Davide Santon to bolster the squad, the Nerazzurri sitting 13th in Serie A.
However, the Inter boss continues to have a considerable task on his hand in rebuilding the side, one that will spill over into the summer as further signings are made.
Mancini’s prior comments lent the idea that the Italian would at least attempt to lure Toure to San Siro come summer, though such an opertation would undoubtedly be difficult.
By June Toure will still have two years remaining on his Manchester City contract, and Inter would need to prove their project is ambitious enough for him to cross the divide.
It appears that this is a situation recognised by sporting director Piero Ausilio, who told Inter channel on Friday that Toure’s arrival is an unlikely scenario.
Ausilio said: “Yaya Toure is a true great, but almost impossible [to get]. We’re fortunate to have a coach who spent a few years with him, so there’s a chance through Mancini we’ll try. But at the moment it’s almost impossible.
“I can’t deny we’d like a player like him, but I also know that he’s at City. All we can say is that we like him, but we’re right on the edge of impossible and it would take something extraordinary.”
Manuel Pellegrini followed this up by saying the midfielder’s commitment to the City cause is complete, although he didn’t rule out something changing six months from now.
Despite this uncertainty it would still be a major coup for Inter to land Toure, leaving Mancini with his work cut out for him if he is indeed plotting such an undertaking.
Ausilio doesn’t appear to be ready to bank on Mancini’s powers of persuasion, but crazier things have happened in football and it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.