With Villa going over 10 hours without a Premier League goal, Lambert had targeted the Liverpool striker during the final stages of the transfer window to help ease the club’s scoring problems.
According to the Sky Sports, a £5 million fee was agreed between the two sides but, after mulling over a move, the England international opted to remain at Anfield.
The Villa boss admits he was disappointed to see their efforts to strengthen the squad fail at the last-minute, but believes he has enough talent at his disposal to prevent a potential relegation battle.
“I don’t know how far it got, but there’s no point on commenting on it now. It’s gone,” he said on Thursday.
“We tried to make one or two things happen, but you’re never quite sure until somebody actually walks through the door and gets signed.
“They fell through – that’s disappointing, but it’s football.”
After last weekend’s 5-0 thumping at Arsenal, Villa have now gone eight league games without a win and six without a goal, with the club sitting just three points above the drop zone in 16th-place ahead of Chelsea’s visit.
Nevertheless, with last month’s attacking additions of Carles Gil and Scott Sinclair, Lambert thinks the pieces are in place for a run up the table.
We’ll go with what we’ve got and try to win games,” he said. “That’s why we brought in Carles and Scott. Carles has come in and been excellent for us, and Scott needs one or two more games to get up to speed.
“I was happy with what he contributed at Arsenal when he came on, even though it was in difficult situation.
“We have to get that last third of the pitch right – it’s where you win games. Obviously we’ve got a strong defence, but that fell apart after an hour against Arsenal.”