Newcastle striker given ‘clean slate’ by Carver - new signing unlikely

Newcastle Fans 4

The goalscorer Newcastle United fans have been crying out for could come from within, with John Carver willing to give Facundo Ferreyra another chance.

Reports of the demise of Facundo Ferreyra’s Newcastle United career may have been greatly exaggerated according to fresh quotes from newly-installed Toon boss John Carver.

The Argentine’s days at the club had looked to be numbered after failing to make a single appearance for the Magpies in the Premier League so far this term.

There were reports from the Chronicle claiming that the 23-year-old, who is on a season-long loan from Shakhtar Donetsk, had been unimpressive in training for the Toon while Serie A side Genoa were also linked with a move for the ex-Velez Sarsfield striker.

However, fresh quotes from Carver suggest that the South American may now be given another opportunity to impress at St James’ Park.

Quizzed by the Chronicle on the forward’s whereabouts at the weekend, the new Toon boss revealed that while the striker is currently sidelined, he may yet have a future with the Magpies.

"He’s injured at the moment. He’s had a problem with his back, he’s had an injection," he said.

"I sat everybody on Tuesday morning and said everybody has a clean slate."

The comments mean the recruitment of an additional striker during the final hours of the winter window appears unlikely, with Ferreyra likely to remain at the club and fight for a first-team place.

Newcastle are next in action against Stoke City in the Premier League.

Take a look at this video of Ferreyra in action for Velez Sarsfield - could he yet come good for Newcastle this season?

 

Register for NEWCASTLE UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch