The compensation fund for victims of General Motors' faulty ignition switch has determined that 51 of the claims for deceased people and about 70 for injuries are eligible for compensation, administrator Kenneth Feinberg told CNBC on Monday.
GM was using different standards-direct evidence of the engineering defect-when it identified 13 eligible cases, Feinberg said. Lawyers and the judges look at other factors, such as circumstantial evidence, "so naturally there would be more clients," Feinberg said in "Squawk Box" interview.
Read More Global auto sales remain on uptrend: IHS
As of Monday morning, the compensation program had received 4,180 claims, but about 3,000 were either ineligible, lacked sufficient documentation or were filed with no documentation whatsoever, he said.
General Motors said last week it would not extend this past weekend's deadline to file claims in its faulty ignition switch compensation program, rejecting pleas from two U.S. senators for an extension.
GM in a statement said it had already extended the deadline once to Jan. 31.
-Reuters contributed to this story.