Ubisoft game key debacle could affect "tens of thousands"

Kinguin logo

Third-party game key seller, Kinguin, made the claims in a statement on their website the other day.

Following on from the whole Ubisoft game key debacle, where players have found that some of their Ubisoft games have been disappearing from their games libraries due to deactivation by Ubisoft, Kinguin, another of the third-party key sellers, has released a statement.

Kinguin is issuing refunds to customer who bought games through their service and found that they were then deactivated.

In a blog post by the company late on Wednesday, they said that at the time they had over 4,200 customer tickets received in 72 hours. The games that were affected include Far Cry 4, Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, and The Crew. Kinguin states they estimate that 148,377 EUR will be refunded to their customers.

Kinguin says that an "unidentified individual from Russia" was responsible for the keys which have subsequently been deactivated. The company claims that "35, mostly minor, merchants" from their marketplace have bought the game keys offered by the individual, while many other merchants refused to buy the keys due to their price being so low.

Kinguin wrote, "Official information released by Ubisoft and Origin both sides claim that fraudulent credit cards were used to acquire Ubisoft keys through Origin platform. Neither we nor other companies in the market have possibility to verify these claims.

"Merchants have [stated] that an unidentified individual from Russia acquired these keys. How exactly - we do not know. Those keys have been offered to many merchants in the market.

"From what we know now price offered for these keys was so low that most merchants refused to buy the goods. 35, mostly minor, merchants from Kinguin accepted the offer. These merchants now claim that their “source” disappeared and that they were left hanging.

"All Merchants with no exception declared full will to cooperate and refund all affected customers. We as Kinguin would like to thank them for that."

Although Kinguin admits that this kind of fraud has "happened several times in the past," this is the first instance where thousands of customer are being affected at the same time, and they think "put together with other platforms the number could be reaching tens of thousands."

Kinguin names a couple of ways this kind of event could be better guarded against in the future, saying major platforms could implement better "early warning mechanisms", and merchants can pay better "attention to who their business partners are and avoid risk transactions with new entities."

Earlier this week third-party key seller G2A also issued a statement, offering compensation to customers caught out by the fraud game keys. And Ubisoft also came forward to say that they had identified the game keys came from EA's Origin platform.

Thanks, VG247.

Related articles:

G2A responds to fraudulent Ubisoft game key fiasco

Ubisoft are deactivating "fraudulently" acquired game keys

Register for HITC Gaming Digest