The Wraith gets a series nerfing
Turtle Rock’s co-founder and design director Chris Ashton has taken to the Evolve blog to detail a number of changes that are coming to the finished game following feedback from the recent beta on Xbox One.
it appears that on the whole monster/hunter balancing is working out well. As an accompanying infographic (viewable here) shows, the percentage of games won roughly evenes out with Hunters coming out tops in 51.5% of beta matches, while the monsters won 48.5%. The Wrath monster, newly introduced in the beta won 70% of the time however and therefore will be the focus of a number of changes, which we’ve included below.
- Make the Wraith easier to track. Even good Hunters have a hard time keeping tabs on Wraith because she can move so far while cloaked.
- Make the Decoy less spammy. It doesn’t take any skill to keep punching that ability button and let the AI Decoy go to work. We want to increase the “cost” of using it so that people use it more sparingly/strategically.
- Bring Supernova down a notch. It is okay if it’s her primary damage dealer, but it felt a little on the buff side for a while internally and we saw it prove true during the Beta.
- Make Abduction a little easier to land. It’s a really fun ability to use and it was underutilized during the beta.
- Make Warp Blast a threat. This should be a straight forward damage dealer that also has some nice mobility utility.
- Wraith can no longer warp while cloaked. If she does, the cloak wears off and the Decoy vanishes (just like when you melee attack). This means that when she cloaks, she normally won’t get far and it opens the door for skilled players to do smart things like break line of sight before warping away.
- Decoy takes 30% longer to cool down. This immediately makes it 30% less spammy and hopefully results in players saving it for the more opportune moments.
- Supernova damage reduced by 10%. Not a huge change, but it will make a measurable difference.
- Abduction radius increased by .5 meters (now 3.5). This will make it a little more forgiving.
- Warp Blast radius increased by .5 meters (now 8.5). Increasing the radius here has proven a great way to increase the damage output in the past as players are able to hit their targets more often
Evolve is set to launch next month, on February 10th for PC, PS4 and Xbox One.