Quick links


Lucas Radebe sends message to Leeds United fans

South Africa Football Stadium

Leeds legend backs fan ownership bid.

Leeds United hero Lucas Radebe has backed plans from supporters aspiring to buy a stake in the club.

The South African sent a message of support on Twitter last night, describing the idea positively.

A meeting was held in Leeds over the weekend by supporters, who aim to raise enough cash to buy the 25 per cent stake currently owned by GFH. Massimo Cellino owns the remaining 75 per cent.

Having a 25 per cent stake would give fans a voice on the board and a real say in making decisions, financial and sporting, on the club's future direction.

The project is entitled the Leeds United LLP, standing for limited liability partnership, and is being pushed forward by the Together Leeds group.

They aim to raise as much as £10 million, but there is currently no official guarantee from GFH they intend to sell their stake.

While any project as large and ambitious as this will have it's challenges, Radebe can see it's merits for a fanbase which has suffered hugely over the past decade, and his support will come as a positive motivation for those behind it to continue pushing ahead.

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch