West Ham striker Diafra Sakho was driven to Bristol at the weekend in a limo in order to get him to the game.
With the forward still claimed to be suffering the effects of an injury, manager Sam Allardyce told Talksport he was unable to fly with the rest of the squad, and alternative transport had to be arranged.
He said: "He's still unable to fly. We had to drive him down in a limo on Saturday afternoon, but other than that he said he can get out on the pitch and just see how he goes.
"Today was about putting him on the bench with the hope we didn't have to use him, but in the end bringing him on was the most important tactical decision for us."
It certainly was, with Sakho coming on as a substitute to head home a winner with 10 minutes remaining, to take the Hammers into the fifth round of the FA Cup.
A big row has however arisen due to his goalscoring exploits, as his injury prevented him from joining up with Senegal's African Nations Cup squad, with the tournament still ongoing.
Allardyce added that he did not feel West Ham had done anything wrong, but the Senegalese FA had threatened previously to report the club to FIFA, wrote the BBC, feeling the Hammers should not have let them know about his withdrawal at the last minute.
Sakho, 25, has scored 10 goals in 14 games in all competitions this season since his summer move from Metz.