Leeds United's Matt Child gives fresh update on £20m investment

Massimo Cellino 2

What is the latest on the proposed investment Massimo Cellino secured?

On December 4 last year Leeds United announced on their website they had agreed a £20 million investment.

Massimo Cellino subsequently told the Yorkshire Evening Post that he believed he had 'fixed the club forever', but at a board meeting that week, it was understood by the same newspaper the money was not signed off due to the owner's ban by the Football League, pending his appeal.

The Italian has now lost his appeal, and a question exists over what happens next to the money.

It was a query put to chief operating officer Matt Child by BBC Radio Leeds on Friday, who said the club must wait, but it was not classed as urgent.

He said: "Our next accounts will be a lot stronger than out last set, fact. In terms of the investment, Mr Cellino will be back here before we know it, and that conversation will continue at the relevant point in time.

"We're in a situation where employees are getting paid, players are getting paid, money is in the bank, we are in pretty robust shape,

"I'm not overly concerned about that situation, (he added of Cellino), I'm looking forard to seeing him back in April."

Child is clearly confident about the club's finances, but this is likely to be a situation Leeds will look to get sorted out as quickly as possible.

The timing of the previous board meeting, for which 25 per cent stakeholders GFH attended, was unfortunately timed, thanks to the Football League.

Massimo Cellino was buoyant about his successful trip to Bahrain days earlier in which he secured the money. It is hard to imagine that despite his ban, he won't be lobbying to get any issues ironed out as quickly as possible ahead of his April return.

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch