Steve Howey has told Sky Sports that Newcastle United should allow caretaker boss John Carver to see out the season at the helm.
A long-serving member of the club’s coaching staff has stepped into the void created by Alan Pardew’s defection to Premier League rivals Crystal Palace.
Carver, along with Steve Stone, has been charged with the task of keeping the club stable as they search for a permanent successor.
He has expressed a desire to take the reins on a full-time basis, as reported by The Guardian, but no decision has been taken as yet.
Former defender Howey believes a lot of uncertainty in the Magpies camp could be avoided if owner Mike Ashley came out and announced that Carver will keep the job until the end of the 2014/15 campaign.
He told Sky Sports News HQ on Monday: “Mike Ashley has told (managing director) Lee Charnley to take as long as he wants, to make sure that the person that Newcastle get next is the right one.
“For me, it’s an ideal opportunity for the club to come out now, or last week, and say John Carver will be in charge for the rest of the season. If he does very well they can re-evaluate, if not they can look elsewhere. There is still a perfect opportunity for them to come out and say what they are doing. Nobody likes uncertainty.”
On Carver, he added: “He’s been there a long, long time and been under some great managers – particularly Sir Bobby (Robson). He’s been dropped in the mire a couple of times when managers have gone. He’s black and white through and through, so is Stoney. Why not give them an opportunity?”
Sky Bet has Carver as 4/1 third favourite to land the post, with former Lyon boss Remi Garde heading the market.
Derby County manager Steve McClaren is also considered to be in the mix, despite committing himself to the Rams in an interview with the BBC.