Diego Simeone tells press reported West Ham target Mario Suarez won't be leaving Atletico

Atletico Stadium

Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone says midfielder Mario Suarez won't be leaving the club.

Last week, the Daily Mail linked West Ham with a shock move for Atletico Madrid midfielder Mario Suarez, with manager Sam Allardyce allegedly looking to bring in another midfielder.

However, Atletico manager Diego Simeone has told press that Suarez won't be leaving the Spanish capital, as reported by ESPN today.

"For us Mario is an important player, we have no intention of letting him leave," said the Argentine, who was nominated for the FIFA Manager of the Year award, but lost out to Joachim Loew on Monday.

Suarez, 27, is primarily a defensive midfield player, and whilst he's made two appearance for the Spanish national team, he's little more than a rotational option with Atletico.

Simeone has so far preferred to use the likes of Gabi, Tiago, Raul Garcia and Saul in midfield this season, leading to rumours that Suarez could leave the club.

Having joined Atletico at the age of 12, Suarez has a long history with the club, and save for four years away with Real Valladolid, Celta Vigo and Real Mallorca, he's spent his entire career at the Estadio Vicente Calderon.

Suarez is still deemed to be a vital squad player for Simeone, and whilst he may not grab the headlines like Koke, Antoine Griezmann or Mario Mandzukic for the rojiblancos, it's clear that he's still highly regarded - meaning a move to West Ham is off the table for now.

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch