Wolfsburg sporting director Klaus Allofs has ruled out a move for Chelsea’s Andre Schurrle, following reports that the Bundesliga club are preparing a £23 million bid for the out-of-favour forward.
Schurrle, 24, made 30 Premier League appearances for Chelsea last season but has seen his opportunities limited during his second term at the club, having started just five top-flight games so far.
After scoring in the December Champions League win over Sporting Lisbon, the German World Cup-winner revealed that an undiagnosed illness had contributed to his poor form, but he has still remained a peripheral figure at Stamford Bridge over the festive period.
Mourinho gave him a chance to make his mark in the recent fixtures against Southampton and Watford, but his lacklustre performances saw him hauled off at half-time on both occasions.
The Mail reported on Thursday that Wolfsburg are now looking to take advantage of the former Bayer Leverkusen star’s plight with an enticing approach, but Allofs has since declared that there is no truth to those claims.
“There is nothing to it,” he told Sky Deutschland when quizzed on the team’s reported interest.
In the meantime, Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho is understood to have told Schurrle that he needs to ‘bulk up’ in order to win back his first-team place, with both the Times and Bild reporting that the £18 million man has been given a specialised training programme and is doing additional weights sessions.