Southampton boss Ronald Koeman rejects Barcelona rumours

Ronald Koeman

The Southampton manager has rejected any claims he could become Barcelona manager.

Southampton manager Ronald Koeman has rejected rumours he could take charge at Barcelona.

Current manager Luis Enrique is reportedly under pressure following an indifferent start to the season and a reported fall-out with star player Lionel Messi.

That has led to speculation that Enrique could be replaced, with Koeman and Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini both being linked to the manager’s job at the Nou Camp.

Koeman has now rejected those claims though; pouring cold water on any return to the club he made over 200 appearances for during a six-year spell in Spain between 1989 and 1995.

“If teams like Barcelona lose games there is always a lot of critics, rumours, speculations,” Koeman told reporters during a press conference at Southampton’s training ground. 

“And I know that, because my whole life I am linked to Barcelona. But it is not a time to talk about that, it is not respectful to the people of Southampton or Barcelona.”

The Southampton manager was also keen to emphasise his happiness at Saint Mary’s, and his desire to respect his contract with the club. “I am very happy to be here. I started a contract in Southampton, and I like to respect my contract and the people,” he said.

Koeman’s time in the Premier League has been a successful one so far, guiding his side fourth place in the league despite losing a whole host of star players in the summer. They take on third-placed Manchester United on Sunday.

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch