Following his team's 1-1 draw with Southampton, Mourinho claimed that there was a campaign to influence referees to give decisions against his team.
Mourinho was incensed by the decision to book Cesc Fabregas after the Spaniard went down under a challenge from Matt Targett.
“There is a campaign against Chelsea. I don't know why there is this campaign and I do not care. Everybody knows it was a penalty,” he said in post-match interview.
Mourinho now has until 6pm on Tuesday to respond to the charge and he decided to avoid his weekly Friday press conference so as to avoid getting himself into more trouble.
Assistant first-team coach Steve Holland will instead field the questions before Chelsea’s Premier League game against Newcastle this weekend, with it now being unclear whether Mourinho will give any post-match comments after that game.
Aside from this charge, Mourinho has also been issued with a formal warning for comments made about referee Neil Swarbick back in December. Those comments came before the game against Stoke City, where the Portuguese manager called on Swarbick to produce a strong performance.
There is now every possibility that the Chelsea manager will be facing a touchline ban after being fined on three separate occasions last season. The FA fined him a total of £26,000 during the last campaign, with him employing a similar tactic of silencing himself during that period as well.
Mourinho is certainly not one to hold back his words, although this latest charge may make him consider what he says in future. Having said that, last year's charges didn’t’ seem to have much effect.