Report: Former Fulham boss Felix Magath rejects Bosnia offer

Felix Magath - Fulham Manager

Felix Magath has rejected the chance to become the new head coach of Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Bosnia have been without a head coach since Safet Susic was sacked in the middle of November.

Having led the club to their first ever World Cup Finals tournament, Susic had failed to repeat similar successes in the qualification campaign for Euro 2016. Four games played have brought two draws and two losses, and the winless Bosnian’s currently sit four points off a play-off space, and six points off automatic qualification.

The short-list of potential replacements included former Algeria boss Vahid Halilhodzic, who led the African nation to the knock-out stages of the World Cup, but he turned the offer down. Felix Magath was the Bosnian FA’s second choice candidate, and talks had been ongoing for a number of weeks before the German ruled himself out of the running.

The former German international was most recently in charge of Fulham, having taken them from the Premier League and into the Championship on an incredible run of defeats. A dreadful start in the second tier saw him sacked on September 18, having failed to win any of his 11 games in charge, and all-but ending any chances of the Cottagers winning promotion back to the top flight at the first attempt.

Having held advanced talks with Bosnian officials, Magath was said to be close to agreeing the role, but he was quoted by HLN as turning down the role, despite the potential ‘exciting’ challenge that he would have endured from accepting the job.

“It would have been an exciting sporting challenge,” said Magath. “In recent days I have intensively thought about it, but I decided not to take the offer.”

The former Bayern Munich and Wolfsburg boss is said to be keen on returning to management, but it is hard to see many clubs who would take him following his spell at Craven Cottage

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch