Neil Lennon welcomes Stuart Holden return to Bolton

Bolton Wanderers Crest

Stuart Holden is still on the road to recovery from a string of serious injuries.

29-year-old Holden was first ruled out of action in March 2011, when a collision with Manchester United’s Jonny Evans seriously damaged his knee.

His recovery was progressing slowly, but three further injuries have dented his chances of ever making a full comeback to professional football, and the United States international has just nine senior appearances to his name since the first injury - of which four came whilst on loan with Sheffield Wednesday.

He is out of contract with Bolton, but he has remained in touch with the club, and the fans are keen to see their favourite return to action, however long that may take. Travelling between the US and England has seen Holden continue to work with the Trotters on his recovery, and he spoke to current manager Neil Lennon when he was at the Macron Stadium last week.

Speaking to the Bolton News, former Celtic boss Lennon revealed that the club will be keeping an eye on his recovery, and will be offering him the chance to prove himself when he is ready to return to professional football.

Lennon said: “He came in to see us last week. He is doing his rehab in Los Angeles.

“We have just said 'when you are fit and ready come over to Bolton and we will have a look at you again.'

“He is a lovely boy and a good player. The door is definitely open for him to come back.”

Holden made his return to the USMNT in May 2013, when he was named as part of Jurgen Klinsmann’s squad for the 2013 Gold Cup. He played a key role in the squad who won the tournament, although he was injured and substituted early in the final - having torn his ACL. The midfielder will be keen to use a return to fitness with Bolton as a route back into Klinsmann’s squad, making his recovery all the more remarkable.

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch