Anthony Knockaert needs to start making peace with the fact that he may be forced to see out the season at Leicester City.
The midfielder is in need of games, of that there is no doubt, with the Frenchman having been restricted to just two Premier League starts with close to a third of the season completed.
He has, however, fallen out of favour since opening the campaign in Nigel Pearson’s starting XI and talk of a loan switch prior to Thursday’s deadline has been building steadily.
|Goal Assist||Goals||Total Scoring Att||Accurate Cross||Total Contest||Accurate Pass||Appearances||Mins Played|
A return to the second tier, where he has previously shone, has been mooted, with Leeds United and Wolverhampton Wanderers among those said to be keen.
Leicester, though, are scrapping for their top-flight lives and are reluctant to limit their options by allowing players to head out on short-term agreements.
Gary Taylor-Fletcher has already linked up with Sheffield Wednesday and Pearson said at the time: “There is no intention for anyone else to go out on loan. I would rather have players available for me than help other clubs out.”
The exit door at the King Power Stadium appears to remain bolted, with loan discussions unlikely to be opened any time soon.
Were Leicester to be able to add, and add early, when the transfer window re-opens in January, then there is the possibility of them relaxing their stance.
Interested parties will not want to wait, though, with managers battling for precious points and attempting to keep their neck from the chopping block working very much in the present.
That means Leeds and Wolves, two clubs struggling for form and in desperate need of inspiration from somewhere, will need to look elsewhere if they are to land proven Championship talent.
If Knockaert were to become available in 2015 then there is a chance their interest may be rekindled, but the opportunity is likely to have passed by then and the 23-year-old will be left frustrated and planning another visit to his manager’s office.